NTI QuadStation Systems come standard with Windows 10 and all hardware works perfectly in our systems. If you are replacing an older computer or upgrading to Windows 10 here are some things to keep in mind.
Here are a few things to keep in mind about Windows 10:
- If you are buying a system from us, nothing to worry about. We will make sure that the computer hardware works perfectly in Windows 10 and all hardware is compatible.
- But, it is up to you to make sure that all of your personal software programs and peripherals such as printers, scanners etc are compatible with Windows 10. This includes all trading software, office programs, accounting programs etc. ALL software.
- The start menu and navigation within Windows 10 is very different than Windows 7. We install a small utility in all of our systems to make the Start menu more friendly like it was in Windows 7
- There is no way to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, Microsoft has disabled this feature. However, we have found a workaround. See “Turning Off Windows Updates” below. This will not work in the W10 Anniversary Edition.
- Our goal is to always provide the most solid operating system for our customers at any given point in time. All QuadStation systems will run perfectly in Windows 10.
- You really have no choice but Windows 10. Laptop manufacturers have stopped providing Windows 7 drivers for laptop components, for this reason you cannot have Windows 7 in any current model laptop. If you want a laptop, it will come with no other option than Windows 10 as of this writing.
- Note, that all of the comments above apply to laptops systems as well.
- Our QuadStation Traveler laptop system support up to 3 displays with a laptop running on Windows 10.
- If you are a trader, see “Traders Tune In” section below.
Windows 10 Start Menu
Windows 10 out of the box is very confusing, most people hate it. Microsoft made the Start button almost impossible to navigate. That said we have a fix for that which you might want to do right away. This small utility revamps the Windows 10 goofy start screen, to make it look just like Windows 7. The best part, it is Free. Head on over to the main Tech Knowledge page under the DOWNLOAD section. Look for Classic Start.
Windows 10’s New Browser
You may have heard of Microsoft’s browser called Edge comes with Windows 10. Microsoft Edge only works in Windows 10. It is completely integrated into windows 10 & a standalone version is not available. And Microsoft has no plans of releasing the Edge browser for previous versions of windows or any other OS for that matter.
That said if you don’t like the look and feel of Microsoft Edge which most do not, download and use Google Chrome instead. It works great in Windows 10 and equally secure.
Windows 10 does include Internet Explorer!
Although it is hidden from all menus, Internet Explorer v11 comes preinstalled with Windows 10. Microsoft has it hidden because they want you to use the new Edge browser. But, you can have Internet Explorer 11 if you want it. Just create a shortcut for it by search for “internet explorer” from the Start menu, the just drag it off to your desktop.
How to Turn off Automatic Updates in Windows 10
To stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your computer apply the steps below in this order. This is not a 100% guaranteed fix, but many customers report that is works successfully. There are 3 places to change settings. See This Page to learn how.
Microsoft Will Be Watching You
When you install Windows 10 you must agree to Microsoft’s new license agreement which allows them to monitor everything you do! Nobody bothers to read the 45 pages of terms and conditions which effectively gives Microsoft permission to act as a “keylogger”(allows monitoring of your keyboard strokes). If you follow all of the requested prompts, you are asked to sign in with your existing Microsoft account, or sign up for a new Microsoft account.
Most people miss the link there in tiny print that allows you to skip that step and sign in without a Microsoft account. Note that if you purchase one of our QuadStation computers and have requested Windows 10 as your operating system, we always SKIP that step. When you opt to sign in, Microsoft goes far beyond collecting basic information — name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics.
Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited and contents of private folders. Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected, ” the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.” Windows 10 assigns each customer a unique advertising ID, which is fed data during computer usage. No thanks!
For example on a standard Windows 10 installation. Unless you click on Customize to modify these settings before installing, look at all that you are agreeing to:
Note that on all NTI’s QuadStation computers, we turn all of these features off during production for you!
Though possibly surprising to some, the company’s data collection practices fit within the industry’s new normal. Google’s Privacy Terms, for instance, show that the tech giant is also analyzing the content of users’ emails to provide a better, more personalized product, it claims. Both Siri and Google now require access to the user’s personal information to personalize responses, while both Apple and Google offer developers the ability to deliver personalized ads to users based on information such as app installs.
Traders Tune In
- If you are a trader, contact your trading platform software company to make sure it is supported in Windows 10.
- Trading software companies take years sometimes to adopt a new operating system. Do your research to find out if your software is supported or recommended in Windows 10. Click here for details
- Please note if you have chosen a Windows 10 system, NTI cannot help troubleshoot your trading software. Although we will always try to steer you in the right direction, this is outside the scope of our expertise. Please contact your software provider for software support.
- We are a hardware vendor, and provide full support for hardware functionality in all of our systems.
Summary of Windows 10
- If you upgrade to Windows 10 that does NOT mean that all of your peripherals (printers etc) will work. Verify this ahead of time.
- You may need to replace computer hardware before upgrading to Win 10.
- Windows updates are applied automatically with no easy way to turn off. See our work around above.
- In general now that Windows 10 has been out for a while and all the kinks worked out, it is very stable now.
- Windows 10 does a pretty good job and finding and automatically installing peripheral drivers.
- The start button is goofy but you can install a utility called Ninite Classic Start to make your Win 10 start menu look normal again.
If you are still using an older operating system like Windows XP or Vista, it is definitely time for a new computer for security reasons.See our QuadStation Computer Systems which support from 2 to 12 displays, choose a system below for full details and pricing. Turnaround time is just a few days.
Computers with Windows 10