Computers with Windows 10
Jan 2024 – Windows 10 is going away next year so you will need start thinking about going to Windows 11 with your next computer. If you are replacing an older computer here are some things to keep in mind.
Are you still using Windows 7?
Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 back in January 2020. That said it is time to m0ve to a newer version of Windows ASAP for security reasons but you have no choice really. If you have an older computer that needs replaced, you will kill two birds with one stone.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- If you are buying a system from us, nothing to worry about. We will make sure that the computer hardware works perfectly in Windows and all hardware is compatible.
- But, it is up to you to make sure that all of your personal software programs and peripherals such as printers, scanners etc are compatible. This includes all trading software, office programs, accounting programs etc. ALL software.
- The start menu and navigation within Win 10/11 is very different than Windows 7. We install a small utility in all of our systems to make the Start menu more friendly like it was in Windows 7, see below.
- There is no way to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10/11, Microsoft has disabled this feature. However, we have found a workaround. See “Turning Off Windows Updates” below. This will not work in the W10 Anniversary Edition.
- Our goal is to always provide the most solid operating system for our customers at any given point in time. All QuadStation systems will run perfectly in Windows 10.
- Note, that all of the comments above apply to laptops systems as well.
- Our QuadStation Laptops now support up to 4 displays with a laptop running on Windows 11.
Windows 10/11 Start Menu
The Windows 10/11 start menu is a bit confusing and will take a little getting used to. Microsoft made the Start button more difficult to find things but you have no choice. So for now embrace this change and get used to it until they redesign it.
Windows 10’s New Browser
You may have heard of Microsoft’s browser called Edge comes with Windows 10 and 11. Microsoft Edge only works in Windows 10/11. It is completely integrated into windows & a standalone version is not available. And Microsoft has no plans of releasing the Edge browser for previous versions of windows or any other OS for that matter.
It cannot be uninstalled so if you don’t like the look and feel of Microsoft Edge, download and use Google Chrome or FireFox instead. It works great in Windows 10 / 11 and equally secure. We preinstall Google Chrome on all new desktops and laptops.
Windows 10 does include Internet Explorer!
Although it is hidden from all menus, Internet Explorer v11 comes preinstalled with Windows 10. Microsoft has it hidden because they want you to use the new Edge browser. But, you can have Internet Explorer 11 if you want it. Just create a shortcut for it by search for “internet explorer” from the Start menu, the just drag it off to your desktop.
How to Turn off Automatic Updates in Windows 10/11
To stop Windows from automatically updating your computer apply the steps below in this order. This is not a 100% guaranteed fix, but many customers report that is works successfully. There are 3 places to change settings. See This Page to learn how.
Microsoft Privacy Settings
By default, Microsoft enables many privacy settings in Windows. However, during production in all NTI’s QuadStation computers, we turn all of these features off for you!
Traders Tune In
- If you are a trader, contact your trading platform software company to make sure it is supported in Windows 11.
- Trading software companies take years sometimes to adopt a new operating system. Do your research to find out if your software is supported or recommended in Windows 11. Click here for details
- Please note, NTI cannot help troubleshoot your trading software. Although we will always try to steer you in the right direction, this is outside the scope of our expertise. Please contact your software provider for software support.
- We are a hardware vendor, and provide full support for hardware functionality in all of our systems.
- If you are still using Windows 7 it is time for a new computer with Windows 11 ASAP for many reasons but primarily for your security.
- If you are using Windows 10 you are good to go for now. Nothing you need to do at this time.
- Windows updates are applied automatically with no easy way to turn off. See our work around above.
- Windows 10/11 does a pretty good job and finding and automatically installing peripheral drivers.
NTI Computers with Windows 11