Are you still using Windows 7?
As you have heard Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 in January 2020. That said it is time to m0ve to Windows 10 you have no choice really. If you have an older computer that needs replaced, you will kill two birds with one stone as any new computer will come with Windows 10
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- If you are buying a system from us, nothing to worry about. We will make sure that the computer hardware works perfectly in Windows 10 and all hardware is compatible.
- But, it is up to you to make sure that all of your personal software programs and peripherals such as printers, scanners etc are compatible with Windows 10. This includes all trading software, office programs, accounting programs etc. ALL software.
- The start menu and navigation within Windows 10 is very different than Windows 7. We install a small utility in all of our systems to make the Start menu more friendly like it was in Windows 7, see below.
- There is no way to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, Microsoft has disabled this feature. However, we have found a workaround. See “Turning Off Windows Updates” below. This will not work in the W10 Anniversary Edition.
- Our goal is to always provide the most solid operating system for our customers at any given point in time. All QuadStation systems will run perfectly in Windows 10.
- Note, that all of the comments above apply to laptops systems as well.
- Our QuadStation Traveler laptop system support up to 3 displays with a laptop running on Windows 10.
Windows 10 Start Menu
Windows 10 out of the box is very confusing, most people dont like it. Microsoft made the Start button almost impossible to navigate. That said we have a fix for that which you might want to do right away. This small utility revamps the Windows 10 goofy start screen, to make it look just like Windows 7. The best part, it is Free. Head on over to the main Tech Knowledge page under the DOWNLOAD section. Look for Classic Start.
Windows 10’s New Browser
You may have heard of Microsoft’s browser called Edge comes with Windows 10. Microsoft Edge only works in Windows 10. It is completely integrated into windows 10 & a standalone version is not available. And Microsoft has no plans of releasing the Edge browser for previous versions of windows or any other OS for that matter.
That said if you don’t like the look and feel of Microsoft Edge which most do not, download and use Google Chrome instead. It works great in Windows 10 and equally secure.
Windows 10 does include Internet Explorer!
Although it is hidden from all menus, Internet Explorer v11 comes preinstalled with Windows 10. Microsoft has it hidden because they want you to use the new Edge browser. But, you can have Internet Explorer 11 if you want it. Just create a shortcut for it by search for “internet explorer” from the Start menu, the just drag it off to your desktop.
How to Turn off Automatic Updates in Windows 10
To stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your computer apply the steps below in this order. This is not a 100% guaranteed fix, but many customers report that is works successfully. There are 3 places to change settings. See This Page to learn how.
Microsoft Privacy Settings
By default, Microsoft enables many privacy settings in Windows 10. However, during production in all NTI’s QuadStation computers, we turn all of these features off for you!
Traders Tune In
- If you are a trader, contact your trading platform software company to make sure it is supported in Windows 10.
- Trading software companies take years sometimes to adopt a new operating system. Do your research to find out if your software is supported or recommended in Windows 10. Click here for details
- Please note if you have chosen a Windows 10 system, NTI cannot help troubleshoot your trading software. Although we will always try to steer you in the right direction, this is outside the scope of our expertise. Please contact your software provider for software support.
- We are a hardware vendor, and provide full support for hardware functionality in all of our systems.
Summary of Windows 10
- If you are still using Windows 7 it is time to move to Windows 10 for many reasons but primarily for your security.
- Windows updates are applied automatically with no easy way to turn off. See our work around above.
- Windows 10 does a pretty good job and finding and automatically installing peripheral drivers.
- The start button is goofy but you can install a utility called Ninite Classic Start to make your Win 10 start menu look normal again. If you are buying a new system from NTI, we do this for you.
If you are still using an older operating system like Windows 7 , it is definitely time for a new computer for security reasons. See our QuadStation Computer Systems which support from 2 to 12 displays, choose a system below for full details and pricing. Turnaround time from time of order is just a few days.
Computers with Windows 10