Why does Windows hang when checking for updates?
Windows updates hang when checking for updates and never completes. This applies only to a NEW INSTALL of Windows 7. If Windows is already installed, it will not work. We are posting this fix as a courtesy. If it works for you drop us a quick email to let us know it helped you. Feel free to forward this page to others as well.
On a new installation of Microsoft Windows 7, it just hangs when checking for initial Windows updates for hours and hours. We found this fix corrects the problem allowing updates to come down in about 5 minutes. This applies to a brand new install of Windows 7, not if it is already installed. Follow these steps to the letter, if you miss one step and it will not. This is a bug in Microsoft’s windows update process, we hope they fix it soon. Meanwhile try this:
Before you begin:
- IMPORTANT: Unplug the computer from the internet completely before installing Windows 7. We it goes online even for a second for any reason, it does not always work.
How to Fix it:
- Open the Task Manger and STOP the Windows Update Service if it is running, it is called WUASERV.exe.
- Download and install KB3050265 from Microsoft’s site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265. The file name is Windows6.1KB3050625-x64. This is the 64 bit version, the 32 bit version ends in x32. Once you click on this, it should launch and install a program. If it does not, it is wrong.
- REBOOT the computer
- Download and install KB3102810 from Microsoft’s site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=49540 . The file name is Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu. This is the 64 bit version, the 32 bit version ends in x32. Once you click on this, it should launch and install a program. If it does not, it is wrong.
- REBOOT again (do not skip this reboot).
- Restore the Internet connection and launch Windows Update as usual.
- After a few minutes, you should have plenty of updates to download and install.
This should take care of it and we hope this helped you. The Team at NTI
NOTE: There is another fix that can be applied if above solution does not correct it. Download and install KB3083710